Telegraf France Roma expulsion to Nazi deportations
Arben Nelku
2010-09-15 12:27:16 UTC
Europe compares France Roma expulsion to Nazi deportationsThe European Commission has compared French expulsions of Roma to Nazi deportations in the Second World War and made an unprecedented threat to take France to the EU courts for "disgraceful" discrimination against an ethnic minority. Bruno Waterfield in Brussels and Henry Samuel in Paris
Published: 12:08PM BST 15 Sep 2010Previous1 of 2 ImagesNextRoma families arrive at Marignane airport for their flight to Romania on a voluntary repatriation scheme Photo: AFPViviane Reding, the European commissioner for justice and fundamental rights, announced the start of "infringement procedures" after the leak of a French government memorandum instructing police to specifically target Roma gipsies when breaking up illegal camps of travellers.The commissioner, responsible for upholding free movement rights for all EU citizens, including Bulgarian and Romania Roma, further fuelled a bitter row over the French deportations of 8,000 gipsies since the beginning of the year by comparing the policy to Nazi round ups of gipsies and Jews in the Second World War. Related ArticlesFrance 'carrying out racial holocaust' claims CastroEU to take France to court over Roma expulsionsThe world according to Abercrombie & FitchPut more women on boards of big banks,
urges HarmanHarriet Harman champions the rights of naturistsQuangos ban traditional phrases like 'whiter than white' and 'gentlemen's agreement'"I personally have been appalled by a situation that gave the impression that people are being removed from a member state of the EU just because they belong to an ethnic minority," she said. "This is a situation I thought Europe would not have to witness again after the Second World War."Mrs Reding and the Commission are incensed that the French authorities misled EU officials during "formal meetings" meetings with Eric Besson, the French immigration minister and Pierre Lellouche, France's Europe minister."I can only express my deepest regrets that the political assurance given by two French ministers, officially mandated to discuss this matter with the European Commission are now openly contradicted by an administrative circular issued by the same government," she said."The role of the commission is made
extremely difficult if we can no longer have confidence in the assurances of two ministers in a formal meeting with two commissioners and around 15 senior officials on the table, from both sides."The charge of misleading the Commission is especially serious because Nicolas Sarkozy, the French President, himself gave personal assurances thatFrance was not targeting Roma during a September 6 meeting in Paris with José Manuel Barroso, head of the Brussels executive."This is not a minor offence in a situation of this importance. After 11 years of experience in the commission, I will even go further, this is a disgrace," said Mrs Reding.The commission is expected to formally start legal proceedings against France on grounds of discrimination and failing to protect the rights of EU citizens in two weeks."I find it deeply disturbing that a member state calls so deeply into question, by actions of its administration, the common values and the law of the
EU."If France refuses to comply with Commission instructions and halt the deportations then it could face large fines.France has reacted with "astonishment" to the legal proceedings."We don't think that this kind of declaration will help improve the predicament of the Roma, who are at the heart of our concerns," said Bernard Valero, a foreign ministry spokesman."This is not the moment for an argument, or for this kind of statement. It's time to work in favour of the Roma population."Brice Hortefeux, the interior minister has withdrawn, since Monday, the controversial memorandum instructing the authorities to dismantle illegal camps while "prioritising those of the Roma".But Mrs Reding rejected the move as insufficient. "It is important that not only the words change, but also the behaviour of the French authorities," she said.Even as the Commission threatened legal action France sent a new planeload of 69 Roma back to Romania on a specially chartered
plane left Marseilles on Tuesday afternoon.Eric Besson, the French immigration minister, insisted that his government was complying with EU laws but would continue to dismantle illegal camps."France has not undertaken any voluntary or forced departures on an ethnic basis," he said."France respects the Commission in its role of guardian of the Treaties. We have replied to all its questions and will start again if necessary."French opinion polls show that Mr Sarkozy's approval rating among far-right National Front sympathisers has rocketed by 20 points to 52 per cent in the past month.